1. What’s your name and where are you from?
My name is Fiona Kemigisha. I was born and raised in Uganda and I’ve pretty much lived here all my life except for the two years I spent studying in Nairobi, which I consider my other home.
2. Describe your hair a little (eg. hair porosity, hair type, hair texture, hair density, personality, etc).
My hair is 4C but I think it’s a little closer to 4Z if you know what I mean. Super tight curls. High porosity, high density and coarse. It does what it wants honestly. I can’t get it to do much that it doesn’t already want to. Lol. I guess I could say it’s stubborn. It’s pretty thick and my natural hair colour is somewhere around a 2.
3. How long have you been natural?
It’ll be 3 years in June since I went bald.
4. Why did you decide to go natural?
It begun as just excitement over the possibility of getting to do my own hair. I have always loved to DIY, but relaxed hair doesn’t give you much leeway in that department. As I considered cutting my hair for about a year or two, my motivation changed. I love books and during that time, I discovered Chimamanda Adichie and fell in love with her ideas about the African woman – our strength, our beauty. I started to see natural hair as an outward expression of our appreciation of our identity. It’s an unapologetic statement of our blackness. It’s us saying the way we are is beautiful and we’re proud of it. That sealed the decision for me.
5. What was the hardest thing about returning natural?
The pressure to relax my hair so I could look more professional.
6. What does your hair regimen comprise of?
Daily water-oil spritz and scalp massage. Wash day every two or three weeks. Protective styling without extensions (twists mostly). Monthly protein treatments.
7. What do you love most about your hair?
I love that it’s big and a little wild.
8. What do you dislike most about your hair?
The fact that it just won’t comply sometimes so I guess I both like and don’t like this. Depends on the day.
9. Which 3 products do you swear by?
Kentaro Avoghee ConditionerLivara Sapphire Leave-in ConditionerThe Moisturewell Hair Growth Elixir
10. What are your top 3 hair tips?
Keep it simple,Keep your hair moisturised,Don’t leave your hair ‘out’ too often. Protective styling is key.
11. Any encouragement for rookie naturals?
Don’t give up because it’s hard at the start. It was hard for all of us. Try one thing at a time until you find what works and when you do, keep with it.
12. Where can people find you online (Instagram/YouTube/Facebook, etc.)?
Facebook: Fiona Kemi
Youtube: Fiona Kemi