My name is Jané Jordaan. Born & bred in Durban, Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa, currently residing in Bloemfontein, Free State, South Africa.
2. What would you consider your hair type and hair porosity to be?
My hair type is between 4a & 4b I have very curly hair, but I experience a lot of shrinkage, which makes my hair appear way smaller than it really is. I would say my hair porosity is normal.
3. How long have you been natural?
This year marks the 5th year I have been natural.
4. Why did you decide to go natural?
I decided to go natural, because I started using relaxer more frequently, my hair was completely dependent on it. My hair was brittle, weak and had absolutely no growth.
5. What was the hardest thing about returning natural?
The maintenance mostly, the only good thing about relaxer for me is that it smoothes your hair, making it more maintainable. Returning natural was a lot of work in terms of styling, because it was much more hair and way thicker, and I didn’t know how to maintain natural hair, I was absolutely clueless.
6. What does your hair regimen comprise of?
My basic regimen is a sulfate free shampoo & conditioner, hair detangler, and a moisturising butter for my Fro. I always apply product to damp hair unless I’m using an oil to moisturize my scalp and hair (jojoba, tea tree, argan oil)
7. What do you love most about your hair?
The size & volume.
8. What do you dislike most about your hair?
9. Which 3 products do you swear by?
Aunt Jackie’s Flaxseed Elongating Styling Gel, Palmer’s Coconut Oil Hair Milk & Dark & Lovely Amla Legend Deep Conditioning Treatment.
10. What are your top 3 natural hair tips?
(1) Don’t sleep on deep conditioners, they are life!
(2) Comb out your Fro and twist it out every evening before bed, trust me your mornings will be a breeze and you won’t lose so much hair
(3) Always snip, oil & care for your ends, they are your oldest hair so it needs some TLC, snipping your ends makes your Fro look more polished and promotes hair growth.
11. Any encouragement for rookie naturals?
It takes time! And a lot of patience, but be persistent, the result will be worth it. Open your mind and educate yourself on hair, there’s so much more to it.
12. Where can people find you online (Instagram/Twitter/Facebook, etc.)?
I'm Chisomo, a Communication Science graduate in my mid-twenties who lives on endless cups of tea. I'm also a natural hair enthusiast, a stay-at-home daughter, a sister, a wanderer and lover of all things pretty who loves Jesus on so many levels I can't even explain.
Oh, fro! began as a result of a simple expression used by a girl in love with, you guessed it, her fro. This is just my tiny space where I share about my hair, regimen and all things hair...and a few tidbits of things I love. So find a comfy spot, settle in and I hope you enjoy every bit of this bumpy ride as much as I do!