Hello Beauties! My name is Jemima. I am originally from Ghana, but I am currently living in the UK.
2. What would you consider your hair type and hair porosity to be?
I consider my hair to be kinky, low density and high porosity
3. How long have you been natural?
I’ve been natural since 2011. I did the big chop and I’ve had numerous mini chops since.
4. Why did you decide to go natural?
Going natural was very easy for me because I had been natural all through childhood until I was 17 when I first texlaxed and then later relaxed my hair. I experienced a lot of burning and blisters every time I relaxed my hair due to my sensitive scalp so I would quickly rinse it out, which meant that my hair was able to retain a lot of its natural texture. I began to wear stretched fros and bantu knots and I fell in love with the volume of my hair. I then decided to do the big chop after 3 years of relaxing my hair and I haven’t looked back since.
5. What was the hardest thing about returning natural?
I struggled with the length and shrinkage of my hair (which I love now). However, I didn’t let that take away from the journey. Instead, I decided to have fun with it and explored all the different things I could do with my hair.
6. What does your hair regimen comprise of?
I tend to do weekly protective styles such as buns/updos and twists for 1 month. I then wash and deep condition once a month. I moisturize my hair using the L.O.C.O technique (Liquid. Light Oil. Cream. Heavy oil/butters) in that order so my hair stays super moisturized through the week. I spray with water every night before bed and sleep in a satin bonnet or 2 for staying power lol.
7. What do you love most about your hair?
I love my kinky soft cotton texture and how it has a mind of its own.
8. What do you dislike most about your hair?
I’d say the amount of tangles I experience when I wear afros, but I’m a problem solver so I found my way around it. Protective styling during the week and afros on the weekends so I’m not detangling daily.
9. Which 3 products do you swear by?
Coconut oil, shea butter, castor oil.
10. What are your top 3 natural hair tips?
– Moisturize your hair daily even if it’s just water.
– Use little to no heat if possible.
– Trim as often as needed and don’t hold on to damaged hair.
11. Any encouragement for rookie naturals?
I know it can be quite confusing with all the information out there. Remember, you don’t have to do it all. Find what works for you and stick with it. Consistency is key.
12. Where can people find you online (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, etc.)?
You can find me @limitlessbloom on Instagram. Follow for more tips and inspiration.
I'm Chisomo, a Communication Science graduate in my mid-twenties who lives on endless cups of tea. I'm also a natural hair enthusiast, a stay-at-home daughter, a sister, a wanderer and lover of all things pretty who loves Jesus on so many levels I can't even explain.
Oh, fro! began as a result of a simple expression used by a girl in love with, you guessed it, her fro. This is just my tiny space where I share about my hair, regimen and all things hair...and a few tidbits of things I love. So find a comfy spot, settle in and I hope you enjoy every bit of this bumpy ride as much as I do!