1. What’s your name and where are you from?
C: My name is Cheroline Ripunda and I am from Namibia.
J: Joelcia Ingles, Angola
2. Describe your hair a little (eg. hair porosity, hair type, hair texture, hair density, personality, etc).
C: I have high porosity, mostly type 4B hair. My hair has medium texture, density and strand size. My hair personality is very chilled and gets along with most people.
J: Low Porosity
Mixture of type 4a/b
Bipolar. When it’s happy, it’s your bestie and when its miserable, it’s a pain in the butt.
3. How long have you been natural?
C: I have been natural for 8 years.
J: All my life.
4. Why did you decide to go natural?
C: I decided to go natural as part of a journey towards getting to know my true self and accepting me just the way that I was created. Therefore, it was a very vulnerable act of showing up for myself.
5. What was the hardest thing about returning natural?
C: For me, what I struggle with most was other people’s reactions and being made to feel like it was not okay to wear my hair in its natural form. As such, I had to learn to define my own beauty and be boldly unapologetic.
J: Accepting my big hair and not feeling self-conscious.
6. What does your hair regimen comprise of?
C: My hair regimen starts out with a pre-poo, the night before wash day. Then on wash day, I shampoo my hair and follow that with a good deep conditioner (non-negotiable step). My wash day ends with a moisture routine. The moisture starts with a leave-in, followed by a light penetrating oil and ends off with a thick, thick cream.
J: My hair regime comprises of a weekly wash day that consists of pre-pooing and a detangling session, followed by shampooing, deep conditioning with heat, and finally moisturizing my hair with a light leave-in and sealing it with a light oil.
7. What do you love most about your hair?
C: Its sheer existence is what I love about it. Basically, I love all things about my hair.
J: The versatility – how it can shrink into a bob and stretch all the way to my waist.
8. What do you dislike most about your hair?
J: How long it takes to detangle.
9. Which 3 products do you swear by?
C: Joico’s Intense Hydrator, Shea Moisture’s Curl Enhancing Smoothie and coconut oil.
J: Shea Moisture JBCO Deep Masque, Argan oil, Mizani 25 Miracle Milk.
10. What are your top 3 hair tips?
C: * Water is the only and best hydrator
* Always use a deep conditioner (and apply indirect heat, especially if your hair is low porosity)
* Learn to do your own research, no one product or hack works the same for every natural.
J: 1. Wash day is the foundation to healthy hair, with wash day you are cleansing your scalp – promoting a healthy scalp, additionally you’re replenishing the moisture in your hair – promoting hair health and ultimately hair length retention.
2. Knowing your porosity is key to building your hair regimen.
3. Being a cheap natural does not mean buying cheap products, but yes, investing in quality products will promote healthy hair.
11. Any encouragement for rookie naturals?
C: New naturals should remember the simple fact that they are, well…new. So, surround yourself with ladies who have been naturals for longer, find good blogs and YouTube channels to learn from. Secondly, be patient. Remember that even those with long healthy hair started where you are now. Finally, enjoy the journey, it’s such an amazing experience.
J: Get to know your hair, like you know your own body; learn to recognise when it needs moisture, when it needs protein, when it needs cleansing, when it needs a break from manipulation and when it needs a break from protective styling… no one else can do it for you.
12. Where can people find you online (Instagram/YouTube/Facebook, etc.)?
C: Find me, personally on Facebook (@Cheroline Ripunda). If you’re new and have a few questions, don’t hesitate to inbox me. Secondly, I have a YouTube channel with my friend Joelcia (JoJo) that focuses on all things hair (hair care, DIY products and natural hairstyle ideas). Find us on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram and the Firework – all handles are @cheaplazynaturals.
J: Find me on my YouTube channel, Cheap Lazy Naturals, that I have with my friend, Cheroline. Or find me on Facebook and Instagram @cheaplazynaturals. Or find me on Instagram @joelcia1.