My name is Nkhensani Rikhotso and I am from Johannesburg.
2. What would you consider your hair type and hair porosity to be?
My hair type is 4c and I have high porosity hair.
3. How long have you been natural?
I have been natural for 28 months now.
4. Why did you decide to go natural?
The reason why I chose to go natural was I was just tired of relaxed hair, yes my relaxed hair was healthy and thick and long, but it wasn’t what I wanted. I’ve always admired natural hair and one day I decided that it was time and I big chopped.
5. What was the hardest thing about returning natural?
The hardest thing for me was learning how to take care of it since I’ve had relaxed hair all my life, I wasn’t used to the texture, the shrinkage, the dryness and how long it took just to wash it.
6. What does your hair regimen comprise of?
So since I have high porosity hair it’s important for me to use products that will strengthen my hair and keep it healthy, so I pre-poo, detangle, wash my hair with shampoo, do an apple cider vinegar rinse on my hair, protein treatment, deep condition and seal moisture into my hair using the LOC method and braid or twist my hair to stretch it.
7. What do you love most about your hair?
I love how versatile it is, and how it has a mind of its own. It just does whatever it wants and most of all I love its texture.
8. What do you dislike most about your hair?
My hair porosity, since I have high porosity hair my hair gets dry very quickly and I constantly have to seal moisture back into my hair.
9. Which 3 products do you swear by?
-Jamaican black castor oil
– Apple Cider Vinegar
– Cantu’s leave-in conditioning repair cream
10. What are your top 3 natural hair tips?
-Detangling is important (it may take forever but trust me, it’ll help).
– Trim your ends if you can see that they look bad, don’t hold on to that length because it’s just doing damage to the rest of your hair strands.
– Deep condition your hair weekly.
11. Any encouragement for rookie naturals?
– Don’t give up on your hair.
– Don’t look at other naturals’ hair and compare yours to theirs, you’re just going to feel like your hair isn’t as nice as you’d want it to be.
– Focus on having healthy hair, length retention isn’t everything because without healthy hair you will never retain length.
12. Where can people find you online (Instagram/Twitter/Facebook, etc.)?
On Instagram I have two accounts: a personal one and a natural hair account
I'm Chisomo, a Communication Science graduate in my mid-twenties who lives on endless cups of tea. I'm also a natural hair enthusiast, a stay-at-home daughter, a sister, a wanderer and lover of all things pretty who loves Jesus on so many levels I can't even explain.
Oh, fro! began as a result of a simple expression used by a girl in love with, you guessed it, her fro. This is just my tiny space where I share about my hair, regimen and all things hair...and a few tidbits of things I love. So find a comfy spot, settle in and I hope you enjoy every bit of this bumpy ride as much as I do!